The Cyprus Employers and Industrialists Federation (OEB), the Institute of Greek Tourism Confederation (INSETE) and the public policy consultancy adelphi (Germany) participate in the European project Hotels4Climate (October 2019 – August 2021), and is financed by the European Climate Initiative (EUKI).
This project aims to facilitate the reduction of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in the hotel industry in Greece and Cyprus, through various activities.
These activities include, among others:
- Assessment of the current situation of the hotel sector in Cyprus and Greece in terms of energy use, energy and greenhouse gas emissions savings, and selection of good practices.
- Capacity building workshops and training for hotel staff on possible GHG reduction measures and energy saving practices.
- Development of an online information hub, to promote information exchange between the concerned hoteliers, to share knowledge products and to assess GHG emission reduction potential through a virtual tool
- Study visits of 10 Cyprus hotel representatives to hotels that apply good practices in Greece and Germany.
- Networking events with hotels representatives and financial institutions to showcase business models and best practices and enhance their collaboration opportunities.
- Report on the effects of COVID-19 pandemic on the hotel industry and the necessary policies and strategies to be adopted for a Green Restart of both the Economy and the hotel businesses.
- Preliminary assessment of the application of circular economy in Greek and Cyprus Hotel Sector.
- Promotion of the Circular Economy in the hotel industry in Greece and Cyprus through education and training of staff and capacity building, with the aim of adopting circular business models and practices that contribute to reducing GHG emissions.