Within the framework of technical assistance provided to Cyprus by the European Commission for the creation of an energy efficiency network in enterprises and industries and in the context of the Business4Climate initiative, an event was held on 25 September 2018 about Climate and Energy Efficiency in SMEs.
The event was co-organized by the Energy Service, the Cyprus Employers and Industrialists Federation (OEB), the Cyprus Energy Agency and the Environment Agency of Austria.
The Cyprus Employers and Industrialists Federation, the Cyprus University of Technology (CUT) and the Department of Environment of the Ministry of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Development, have developed the Business4Climate initiative, which aims to voluntarily commit businesses from all across Cyprus to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, thus contributing to tackling climate change.
By signing the Business4Climate Voluntary Commitment, businesses express their sincere interest in climate action, strengthen their Corporate Social Responsibility and reduce their operating costs, by implementing the energy efficiency measures they will propose in their action plan.
The Business4Climate project is co-funded by the Regional Innovation Scheme (RIS) Climate – KIC, through the European Innovation and Technology Institute (EIT).
The Energy Efficiency Network for Businesses is operating under the “Business4Climate” initiative. The Network is coordinated by the Energy Service of the Ministry of Energy, Commerce, Industry and Tourism, the Cyprus Energy Agency and the Cyprus Employers and Industrialists Federation (OEB). Companies that sign the Business4Climate declaration will become members of the Energy Efficiency Network for Businesses.
The Energy Efficiency Network for Businesses aims to:
- Investigate and analyze the existing needs of businesses/ industries in Cyprus.
- Promote industrial symbiosis and strengthen collaboration among businesses/ industries towards waste exploitation as a source of energy, the transportation of products, the adaptation of common energy saving projects, the use of renewable energy sources and the exchange of knowledge and good practices for sustainable businesses.
- Organize an annual event for promoting good practices, presenting initiatives, exchanging ideas and networking with a broader audience of professionals.
- The Energy Efficiency Network is being set up in the framework of technical assistance provided to Cyprus by the European Commission.
The presentations of the event are available here:
- Petra Lackner, Austrian Energy Agency – Business network for energy efficiency: The Austrian example
- Katerina Piripitsi, Energy Service – Energy Efficiency in businesses and the role of the Energy Service
- Theodoros Zachariades, Cyprus University of Technology – Business4Climate initiative
- Savvas Vlachos, Cyprus Energy Agency – Networking for Energy Efficiency
- Marios Sarris, Carlsberg – Good Practice from Cyprus